Ora Banda Inn
Ora Banda is located approximately 70km from Kalgoorlie. In 1906 a township site was established near newly discovered ore bodies north west of Kalgoorlie. The town took its name from a nearby mine which was worked by the Weston brothers. Ora Banda, roughly translated in Spanish means band, or sash of gold.
Constructed of brick & stone, the Ora Banda Inn was originally built in 1911 by Alfred Garnett when Ora Banda's prosperity seemed assured - thanks to numerous gold strikes within the area. The hotel traded for 40 years riding the wave as the Ora Banda mining boom fluctuated. But, by the late 1950's the hotel closed. It was restored again in 1981 and is currently operating - it is a very popular day trip from Kalgoorlie & well worth the drive for the gorgeous scenery, ice cold beer and authentic pub grub.
The grounds have 7 motel units and a caravan park which is now open with a new ablution block. There are both powered and un-powered sites. Located next to the Ora Banda Historical Inn grounds is the old Government Battery which used to process ore for the local prospectors and will soon be turned into a museum. Opposite the Inn is a race track. Horse lovers made use of this track for the first time since 2000 for the Ora Banda Day 2007 festivities. Enjoy a cold beer with friends and watch magnificent sunsets.