The Kalgoorlie Boulder region is renowned for prospecting and fossicking. To prospect in Western Australia, each person requires a Miner's Right.
This authorises the holder to carry out the following activities on Crown land not the subject of a mining tenement:
- Prospect for minerals (including gold);
- Fossick for rocks, gemstones etc;
- Conduct tests for minerals;
- Undertake limited sampling using hand held equipment and to remove samples up to 20 kilograms;
- Take water and camp for the purposes of prospecting.