THE RYDGES POST
Rydges Campbelltown is a place we call home and the Macarthur region is the backdrop for Channel Seven’s drama series, A Place to Call Home. And, at the centre of the drama, is the majestic mansion known as Camelot.
Surrounded by green pastures and established gardens the historic mansion was built in 1888 for the influential White pastoralist family. They are probably better known for their mansion, Belltrees, in Scone but this one is certainly by no means shabby with its turrets, chimney stacks and gables. They say the building was financed by a fine White-owned galloper called Chester who won a lot of races including the 1877 Melbourne Cup.
Originally known as Kirkham the 55 room fairytale mansion was dubbed ‘Camelot’ by Frances Faithful-Anderson in 1900 when she was reminded of the opening verse of Alfred Lord Tennyson’s the Lady of Shalott and the “many tower’d Camelot.” In its 125 year history there have only been four owners and it last went under the hammer in 1999 for $2.6million.