Powerhouse Hotel Tamworth by Rydges
Features and Amenities
In 1888 Tamworth became the first town in Australia and the southern hemisphere to provide its residents with electric street lighting. The hotel was built on the old power station or ‘power house’ site, hence the name.
The power station operated for 67 years, closing in 1955 when it could no longer meet the demands of the growing city. It was demolished in 1983 and the new Powerhouse hotel opened on this site in December 1986. During the building phase of the hotel, efforts were made to retain as much as possible from the original site. The obelisk at the front of the hotel was erected to celebrate the history of Tamworth as the First City of Lights.
- 24 hour reception
- The Workshop Kitchen
- Coal Bunker Bar
- Outdoor pool, spa and BBQ
- Gym and sauna
- Guest laundry
- Car and coach parking
- Tesla Destination charging station
- 24 hour room service
- Complimentary wifi
- Complimentary daily newspaper
- Same day dry cleaning and laundry
Need to Know
Check in: 2pm
Check out: 10am
61 Hotel Rooms:
- 21 Powerhouse King Rooms, 23 Superior Queen Rooms, 8 Family Suites, 2 Kitchen Suites, 4 Executive King Suites, 2 Executive King Spa Suites, 1 x Three Bedroom Villa
- 20 Serviced Apartments:
- 9 x Studio King Spa Apartments, 9 x 1 Bedroom King Spa Apartments, 2 x 2 Bedroom King Spa Apartments. All of our apartments have underfloor heating in the bathrooms and 10 apartments have the convenience of a full kitchen.
For guests with allergies or asthma, please ask reception about our apartments with premium air humidifiers.
Food and drink
The Workshop Kitchen is open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee and refreshments and is open public holidays. The Coal Bunker Bar is open every day until late.
Available 24 hours.
Children welcome! Family Suites and Apartments are available.