Powerhouse Hotel Tamworth by Rydges
Features and Amenities
In 1888 Tamworth became the first town in Australia and the southern hemisphere to provide its residents with electric street lighting. The hotel was built on the old power station or ‘power house’ site, hence the name.
The power station operated for 67 years, closing in 1955 when it could no longer meet the demands of the growing city. It was demolished in 1983 and the new Powerhouse hotel opened on this site in December 1986. During the building phase of the hotel, efforts were made to retain as much as possible from the original site. The obelisk at the front of the hotel was erected to celebrate the history of Tamworth as the First City of Lights.
- 24 hour reception
- The Workshop Kitchen
- Coal Bunker Bar
- Outdoor swimming pool, spa, sauna and BBQ
- Gym (with new Life Fitness equipment)
- Complimentary guest laundry
- Conference centre
- Private boardroom
- Private dining room
- Upscale hotel limousine transport
- Car and coach parking
- Two Tesla Destination Charging Stations
- 24 hour room service
- Complimentary high speed wifi
- Same day dry cleaning and laundry
Need to Know
Check in: 2pm
Check out: 10am
61 x 5 star Hotel Rooms & Suites:
- 44 x Powerhouse King Rooms, 7 x Powerhouse King Suites, 8 x Powerhouse Family Rooms, 2 x Powerhouse 2 Bedroom Kitchen Suites. Note: an Easy Access Room is available.
20 x 5 star Serviced Apartments:
- 8 x 2 Room Family Apartments, 3 x 1 Bedroom Kitchen Apartments, 6 x 1 Bedroom Kitchen Spa Apartments, 2 x 2 Bedroom Kitchen Apartments, 1 x Powerhouse 3 Bedroom Villa
Food and drink
The Workshop Kitchen is open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee and refreshments and every public holiday. The Coal Bunker Bar is open every day until late.
Hotel Transport Service
Travel in style with our upscale hotel limousines – luxurious leather seating, personalised air conditioning and complimentary water. These are available exclusively for hotel guests on request. A fee applies, so please contact the friendly reception team for further information or to book.